Vindalho of Trotters and Collar Butt of Pork
Random Harvest Gourmet
This is a rich luscious dish of pork trotters and collar butt. Excellent for shared table meals.
- 2 medium brown onions finely sliced
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- 4 pork trotters cut into quarters
- 1 kg pork collar butt cut into large cubes
1 jar VINDALHO MASALA
- 4 Green Chili de-seeded
- 1 cup fresh chopped coriander
- Heat oil in slow cooker or pressure cooker, add sliced onions and fry until golden brown
- Add pork and fry until sealed off and brown , stirring occasionally
- Add VINDALHO MASALA and coriander
- Mix well and fry on medium heat for a minute
- Add water – enough to cover meat – and cook as per slow cooker/pressure cooker instructions until meat is falling apart and trotters gooey and soft
- Add chillies and season for salt if required
Serve with boiled basmati rice, sour dough bread or chapatis and Goan Cuisine Lime Pickle.
Pork trotters (including bone) will soften completely if using pressure cooker with the gravy giving you that delightful sticky fingers feel as you mop it up!
Add 1kg of cleaned fried chicken liver to impart a distinctive darker flavour to the gravy.
Garnishes on the side: slivered onions dark browned, salt and chilli powder raw roasted cashews, chopped coriander, julienne of ginger, chopped green chilli.
Serves at least 12-15 people