A fragrant cumin and black pepper curry base.
- 1 large onion diced
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 kg meat/poultry/seafood/vegetable
I jar Goan Green Curry
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 cup fresh chopped coriander
- 1-2 green chilies de-seeded
- Salt to taste
- Fry onions in oil until brown
- Add meat/poultry/seafood/vegetable until sealed
- Fold through 1 jar Goan Green Curry
- Add water to just cover and simmer until tender
- Add salt to taste, coconut milk and green chilli
- Garnish with coriander and enjoy with boiled basmati rice
Goan Green Chicken Pilaf
Pre-heat oven to 200 degrees.
Strain the Goan Green chicken curry and set aside gravy and solids separately.
Fry one diced onion in heavy based pot.
Add 3 cups washed basmati rice and solids from curry and stir.
Add measured gravy and boiling water to make total liquid up to 6 cups and 3 generous pinches salt and stir.
Bring up to heat. When bubbles surface cover with foil and tight fitting lid and place in oven.
Set timer for 30 minutes. Do not open oven for the duration.
Check rice after 30 minutes by placing fork through and checking grains are cooked through.
Place lid back and leave covered for at least 15 minutes on bench top before serving.
Serve with mint yoghurt and Goan Cuisine Lime Pickle or Cucumber Achar
Meat: Chuck steak, brisket, lamb forequarter chops, half and half pork belly and shoulder, half and half pork soft bone and pork shoulder, boneless rolled leg of lamb.
Poultry: Chicken thigh bone in skin off, chicken thigh boneless skinless, whole chicken cut into pieces, duck Maryland pieces.
Seafood: Prawns, mackerel/salmon cutlets, snapper/barramundi/whiting fillets, squid, crabs, mussels/pipis.
Vegetable: Eggplant, zucchini, mushrooms, cabbage, carrot, corn wedges, cauliflower, green beans, peas, potato and sweet potato
Lentils: Green, Red, Yellow, Split peas.
Legumes: Chic Peas, Black-eyed beans, kidney beans, butter beans.